Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Our Little Slice of Paradise // Seagrove, Florida

Ever since I was little, I have been vacationing in Seaside, Florida. My dad helped them with their advertising so we were always down there! We spent our summers basking in the sun on beaches that invite you to curl your toes in the white sugary sand. The beach is full of toddlers building a sandcastle for the first time. Or delicate crab tracks leading to the shore. This place is my second home.


Although Seaside has grown since being discovered by more and more people over the years, I still love going down there. Yes, it is VERY busy but it is familiar. It brings me so much happiness when I pull off of Highway 98 and drive towards the "beaches" sign. Passing Grayton Beach and the famous Red Bar, I drive a few miles into Watercolor and look around to take a glance at some of the new shops and restaurants. Next up is Seaside. It is magical. I mean, heck, The Truman Show was filmed there. 

A short drive down 30A and you will see Live Oak Street. That is the home stretch. You have reached Seagrove. 


My family rents a house in Seagrove, which is about a half mile walk from Seaside. It is located along the Scenic Highway 30A right between Seaside and Rosemary Beach. I have spent almost every summer down there and it has grown to be my second home. Named for the thick grove of windswept trees that surround it, Seagrove has stayed true to its roots by preserving the same green canopy of oaks, magnolias, hickories and sand pines that came to define it a half a century ago. It is a small cottage at the end of a street, shaded by old oak trees and surrounded by a rocky sand road. Red adirondack chairs adorn the front porch and welcome you. The golf cart sitting in the driveway has been waiting all summer to be driven around the block. This is my happy.

This is where you will find me in the summer. A little house we call "The Peacekepeer". 

I went down to our little house this past weekend with my parents. Let me just say, Fourth of the July week is CRAZY! There were so many people and the traffic on 30A was for miles. But, I was thrilled to be down there.



We spent our afternoons on the beach and reading our books we had purchased at Sundog Books. The bookstore is always welcoming. The creaky wooden floor and the familiar black lab greeting you at the door, this is where I long to go when I first arrive to Seaside. 




When the sun starts to go down, the sunset bell will ring, and the restaurants being to bustle. We ate at one of our favorite places on Friday night - Bud & Alleys! My family always order different things because we like to try each other's food. My dad ordered the salmon and my mom decided on the pork chop. I stuck with my arugula and shrimp salad. They were all delicious!!




Evenings are spend riding the golf cart with the dogs and making an ice cream run to Dawson's Ice Cream and Fudge! A frozen salted caramel yogurt never hurt anyone! 



The weekend was hot. In fact the heat index was 107 degrees and HUMID! We tried to go to the beach later in the day to avoid a heat stroke. This gave us time to enjoy great food, walk around both Seaside and Seagrove, and also do a little shopping! A trip to Seaside is never complete without taking a stroll through Modica Market and perusing the shelves for local cheeses and snacks. A friendly place to grab a great piece of rainbow cake or muffin! A true gourmet grocery with southern hospitality. 



On Sunday we went to the local Seaside Church and attended a wonderful service by pastor Gary Wingo. The church was so packed that we had to sit on the balcony! After church we golf carted over to the Southern Kitchen, another favorite of ours. And of course I had to get one of their famous mojitos. The lunch was delicious as always! 





As our last day began to end and everything is closing for the night, I can hear the waves crashing along the shoreline. I find comfort in the sound. It is the sound that brings me back every year. Create memories. Laugh. Soak in the sun. 


A short detour to Ono Island made for a nice Monday afternoon drive home!



Looking forward to the next beach vacation to our little slice of paradise! 

Until next time
-H

No comments:

Post a Comment