Sunday, July 27, 2014

Kathy's Song // The Only Truth I Know is You

Music pretty much runs my life. It can change my mood in an instance. Songs can make me sad to the point of wanting to cry. And songs can make me so happy that nothing can bring me down.

Growing up, my dad always had great music playing. We would listen to The Beach Boys, Fleetwood Mac, and of course Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young. I honestly believe being introduced to such great music at such a young age made me appreciate it even more. 

I have always loved Simon and Garfunkel. My sister and I even have their Greatest Hits album framed in our living room. Gaining their famed in the 60's, their music seemed utterly typical. But as it turned out, they are far from the average folkies. 


Recently I was reintroduced to the pair by a friend of mine. As we sat in his living room, we listened to their hit, Kathy's Song. If you have never listened to it, I urge you to look it up immediately. It is quite possibly the most real and beautiful love song ever written-- in any language, in any era. Listening to it makes your heart ache with a sense of longing for that love they sing about. 

The song encompasses a love so strong that it is haunting. It was written about Paul Simon's first love and how the fame and distance ultimately broke up the couple. The song immortalizes their love.
Of course I am not a professional music critic and I am sure there are dozens of possible meanings for this song, but I choose to see the love in the song instead of the heartbreak. Each word, each note is as pure and simple as the raindrops that begin and end the song. 

"I hear the drizzle of the rain
Like a memory it falls
Soft and warm continuing
Tapping on my roof and walls.

And from the shelter of my mind
Through the window of my eyes
I gaze beyond the rain-drenched streets
To England where my heart lies.

My mind's distracted and diffused
My thoughts are many miles away
They lie with you when you're asleep
And kiss you when you start your day.

And a song I was writing is left undone
I don't know why I spend my time
Writing songs I can't believe
With words that tear and strain to rhyme."


If you love their version, you will be blown away by Grammy winner Sarah Jarosz. She makes the song her own and puts her spin on the classic favorite. 



Until next time, 
- H

No comments:

Post a Comment